View Single Post
Old 12-20-2019, 02:51 PM   #80
World's Best Boss

The problem, ultimately, is that Star Wars has such a widespread audience. Kids, casual fans, those brought up with Clone Wars/the prequels, and those that have been involved with each of the movies from the original series, and of course, those that have dived into the EU from the very beginning.

I think it means that the fanbase, as a whole, doesn't really know what it wants from a movie. People largely forgave TFA for stealing ANH because it revived the series, but the overwhelming consensus was that TLJ had to be original. It couldn't just run through the motions of ESB. Unfortunately, JJ set up all of the main storybeats to follow ESB, but I digress.

We did get something original, and the people that hated it, hated it. There are legitimate beefs about the movie, there were too many plotlines (a problem that developed solely because of the edits to Rian's script). Holdo stepping in for Leia (a problem that developed solely because of edits to Rian's script), not enough focus on Luke/Rey (a problem that developed solely because of edits to Rian's script) and Rose and Finn doing whatever those two were doing (a problem that developed solely because of edits to Rian's script).

Anywho, I think I've made my point. A lot of weird things happened between Rian's first draft, production, and the edit. I don't know who got involved or what the ideas behind the changes were, but it's always made me wonder if that's why Disney has kept Rian around since the things criticized most about TLJ were choices that were not in Rian's original script.

Astral Projection and Luke dying were always going to be divisive. When Carrie Fisher passed, I think the obvious choice was to keep Luke alive. At any rate, I love that scene with Luke - even if his ****-talking to Kylo now feels cruel thanks to JJ deciding that it was actually a dead dark lord who was responsible for every bad thing Kylo has ever done (how creative, Abrams!)
Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.