Thread: RIP Patteeu
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2021, 06:22 PM   #123
NFL's #1 Ermines Fan

So as background, patteeu and I went to the same college with the same major, and we had a lot of similar interests. When we graduated, I was surprised that we also had similar career interests, because we coincidentally got hired by the same company to work in the same department. That's a pretty notable coincidence given that it was a very niched department. So we both moved to St. Louis.

There was a relatively small group of young engineers in our department, while most of the department was 50+. So we tended to hang out together. Patteeu and I were in the wargaming club together, and we played paintball, and we road-tripped to a few Chiefs games together. Without going into detail about it, we also each found ourselves in a situation over the years where we protected the other one from foul play at the hands of others, so we became good friends.

It's funny that he enjoyed debating on CP, because in real life he was incredibly easygoing and mellow. One of my favorite patteeu stories was during our years in St. Louis. He had an apartment and at some point he noticed stuff going missing. Nothing big, just small stuff like change and other things that could easily be overlooked. So he did some sleuthing and eventually discovered that his next door neighbor was climbing over to patteeu's deck from his own and working the back door open while patteeu was at work. He'd steal stuff and then close the door back.

Now, I would've been furious and gone screaming to the police about my missing pocket change. But patteeu just went to the guy and said something like, "Stuff's been disappearing out of my apartment and I've been watching it. If it keeps happening, the police are going to get involved. So let's hope it stops." The guy immediately stopped and patteeu remained on friendly terms with him going forward. I was impressed at how he de-escalated it.

So anyway, we worked together for about five years. We were in the same department, but always in different work groups. For the first few years, we'd usually meet for lunch with the "young people" group in our department. We then both got assigned to a big mega-classified project, but into different work groups. We couldn't visit the other person's desk due to guards and stuff, but we'd meet somewhat regularly for lunch. And that's where the most amusing coincidence happened, when ...
Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 7 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote