Thread: Food and Drink Finally, a steak worthy of ketchup
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2020, 04:06 PM   #18
Kind of a mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis View Post
I tried the Impossible Whopper; it was OK, I guess. Fairly reminiscent of what I remembered a Whopper tasting like.

I've been a vegetarian for a few years now, and I really don't "get" the whole fake meat thing. If I wanted meat, I would simply eat it. The notion of a 3D printed plant steak is a hard pass from me.

The only way I can see this taking off is if there is a confluence of events that render real meat cost prohibitive and the fake steak market can overcome adoption barriers where economies of scale can make it significantly more affordable than meat.
To be fair, I've had it at a reasonably nice restaurant where they actually know how to cook a burger, and that's what I'm primarily thinking of. The Burger King version is fine, but at the end of the day it's a Burger King burger.

As for the plant-based meat broadly, though, I think of it more as being for someone like me than someone like you. I don't think I could ever truly be vegetarian, but I do think that the world would generally be a little better place if we had less of a need for raising and slaughtering meat. So, if they can come up with some products that satisfy my need for meat while reducing the impacts of growing said meat, I'm all for it.

But yeah, they're gonna have to get the prices down. I actually think it's likely they'll get there in the next 5-10 years, but we'll see.
DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote