Thread: Home and Auto The Motorcycle Discussion Thread
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2021, 06:22 PM   #2516
Resident Glue Sniffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperChief View Post
Really, really good stuff - thank you mucho!

I started looking into a couple things you mentioned already. The Motojitsu series is great. I wasn't at all familiar with the Kawasaki Vulcan 900 until Mac brought it up, but after checking it out, I am definitely liking it. I'm thinking between that and the Yamaha Vstar 900 I will probably come away okay with a good starter bike.

I am already stashing some money away for gear. I have a healthy fear of motorcycles and high speed, so safety is definitely a priority for me. I'm going to take a class (probably in the KC area), and go slow with everything. I have no desire to take shortcuts with this process, as I want to learn and put in the work to become a proficient rider.

Again, thanks for the input!
sounds like you have a great mindset to learn.
I'd budget probably $300-500 for.a good helmet (depending on what kind/style; ensure DOT and/or Snell rated);
probably $150 for a good boot with heel and toe re-enforcement;
probably $50-100 for gloves;
$150 for some riding jeans, or something with some great abrasion resistance / reenforced.
and probably $200-500 for a good jacket, depending on why kind / if you're looking for a warm season only jacket, or a 3 season type.

And if you happen upon anything that says their product has 'armor' (back, knees, hips, elbows etc).....make sure it's rated at least as CE1 or higher. Some companies tout they have 'armor' in their gear, and it's nothing more than hard foam that 'might' protect against some rash, but will likely disintegrate in a slide, but also won't do anything in terms of impact dispersion protection like CE1, CE2 etc. I'm not suggesting you have to go full-on sport bike gear, but just something to keep an eye on. These days there is a lot of really nice gear out there that appears 'casual', that actually offer decent-to-good protection. My main go to in my gear stash is some cargo looking pants that have kevlar in the knees, hips and ass; and inserts for armor in the knees, and hips which I have inserted CE2 level armor .

The good thing about the UJMs, is they such a great value; dead reliable. Yamaha & Kawasaki's would be a great choice; and although I haven' been in the used market for a while, they have always had a great used segement / market out there. Mainly of guys who either bought them new and never rode them and now it's time to sell it; or, someone who bought it used, and never rode it / got spooked, wife said get rid of it etc.....now it's time to sell it. Hell, I think I bought my V Star from a 1 owner, husband of a friend of my wife's co worker. It was 3 years old at the time, and only had 1700 miles on it. Dude was superstitious because every time e rode it, he got deployed again (Army) lol. I bought it for $3500; rode it for 3 years, and sold it for $3k. Started every time. never a single issue.
Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote