View Single Post
Old 04-09-2020, 02:16 PM   #14819
Sauntering Vaguely Downwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorry View Post
Anybody got recipes for tri tipis an oven already trimmed - about 2.5 lbs
I like to do a Santa Maria style rub on them and smoke them to about 120 degrees before I finish them under a broiler.

This would probably be a good alternative if you're committed to an oven cook:

Technique:

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/...-maria-tri-tip

Quote:
To oven-roast a tri-tip, prepare meat with rub and refrigerate as instructed. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil or other cooking oil to a large, heavy ovenproof pan. On stovetop, heat on high until pan is very hot, then add tri-tip, fat side down. Turn heat to medium-high and sear roast for about 4 minutes. Turn the roast and put it in the oven. Cook it for about 10 minutes a pound, checking with an instant-read thermometer until it reaches 130 degrees for medium-rare.
That's a pretty tried and true 'steak in the oven' method that I've stolen from Alton Brown and used with great success over the years. It's modified somewhat for the bigger piece of meat. Do note their tip on slicing - gotta remember to cut those guys against the grain or they're tough as hell.

Rub:

https://parade.com/842259/alisonasht...style-dry-rub/

Quote:
1½ Tbsp kosher salt
1 Tbsp freshly ground black pepper
1 Tbsp ancho chile powder
1 Tbsp garlic powder
1 Tbsp onion powder
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1 Tbsp dried oregano
1 tsp cayenne
I'd up the black pepper a bit and maybe dial the salt back some; probably flip their ratio but 1-1 would also work. I'd omit the sugar outright (that ain't a true santa-maria style, IMO).
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.