Thread: Movies and TV Star Wars: The Mandalorian
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2020, 04:06 PM   #1551
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud View Post
Well here’s the thing, and UnderEJ is certainly far better suited to speak about VFX than I am, but “touching up” an already completed visual effect is a very, very different process than actually creating the effect. That takes a team of people working together with a singular vision and those people are "True" artists.

I mean, anyone can take a great photo and change it to look “better”, although 'better' is often times in the eye of the beholder. But creating a person's face using Motion Capture hardware and software while making it look “believable” is a completely different process altogether.

For me, the audio/visual sync was off on the DF version and immediately took me right out of the scene, which made it far more distracting than the original.

MoCap is getting better and better each year with faster processors and there are claims that Apple’s new ARM chip advances rendering time and complicated processes like these to a new level, so the future is brighter than ever before.
You pretty much got that right on. I just looked at the credits and while most of the work was done by ILM, there are a few other vendors listed. All seem to be trusted lucas/disney/marvel insiders so the work really could have gone to any of them.

I am pretty certain there is a color pass that may have done some damage to the vfx shot on its way to the final output. Somewhere an artist is seething, going "yea we had some trouble with it, but it didn't look THAT bad!"

Here's the other thing. We're all going to have to cut some slack for work created in 2020 because, and I can speak from the experience of closing a show during this pandemic, it has never been harder. Not everyone gets to look at it at full quality because everyone is remote. Even when you do get to physically go into the post vendors to check things, their operators are remote and playback is not frame by frame or even very easy to ask for stopping and backing up. Controlling the hardware of people at home on their own systems is impossible so some monitors are terrible. I feel bad for the team that did this. Every one of those companies has top people. It isn't because they couldn't it in a normal circumstance.

Conveniently the biggest thing I missed that actually made it into theaters is only in the right eye of the 3D version. And no one is really going to see the 3D version. We fixed it for the archive of that version in case they do a rerelease after the pandemic or something.
underEJ 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliunderEJ 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliunderEJ 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliunderEJ 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliunderEJ 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliunderEJ 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliunderEJ 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliunderEJ 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliunderEJ 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliunderEJ 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliunderEJ 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote