View Single Post
Old 10-05-2021, 03:01 PM   #24
MVP

I can definitely be on board with the masses that there are issues with the Chiefs running more of a 4-3 base scheme than the 4-2-5 they've had some success with. That, of course, doesn't address the big elephant in the room of lacking talent in the front 7. That said, it would be beneficial to have Thornhill on the field more, effectively taking Niemann off of it while also limiting the amount we're seeing our atrocious coverage LBs fail at picking up underneath routes or having 5'10" DBs trying to cover 6'5" TEs in space.

And the front 7 really is the big issue. They don't communicate well and they can't cover at the 2nd level. Bolton, Niemann, Hitchens, and Sorensen are all pretty bad at picking up coverages and it's the achilles heal of the defense. This team needs more athleticism at LB. Does Gay help? Probably, whenever he is available. Does it fix the issue? Not entirely. Bolton will continue to develop into a solid strong-side, run-defending, downhill LB but he's always going to be weak in coverage. You have to get players that can run all over the field at the other two spots. We don't even know yet IF Gay is one of the solutions. He has the athletic pedigree but we have to see it.

After that, the Chiefs have zero pass rush. Chris Jones at DE is an abomination and Jarran Reed has provided nothing. The Chiefs are relying, at this point, on Frank Clark returning healthy for the year and being the savior. They can't.

If you want to try to do something to fix the issues this year then you have to add talent to the front 7 somehow and you have to move Jones back inside. I'd also look to add another safety. I don't know who those players can be for sure, but I have a couple ideas.

100% on board with an attempt to trade PHI for ER Derek Barnett. I thought he'd be a good get if that was on the table in the offseason. Barnett has a void year in 2022 so its something for nothing for the Eagles who don't seem poised to compete for a division title this year. He's young and productive enough to throw a bit of money at next offseason without breaking the bank for a #2 pass rusher, which the Chiefs are going to have to do anyhow in conjunction with burning some picks there.

Sign Jamie Collins at LB if he's cheap. He's not a great coverage option anymore but he can still generate pressure as a rusher from the LB spot and he's solid against the run. He could help Bolton's development and keep Niemann off the field. I don't think I'd do it if he's not cheap and wanting to compete. Again, nothing here fixes the glaring lack of athletic talent at LB, but if you get some guys that can pressure the QB, maybe it masks a little. The 49ers were hosting Mychal Kendricks so we'll see what happens there, but I wouldn't mind a look at him if Collins isn't the guy you want.

Other than that, I'd look seriously at poaching HaHa Clinton-Dix off the Raiders' PS. I really don't think there are many options out there that will scream out at you when you look at other teams' practice squads, but he's one option that could help more immediately. Jordan Lucas is also sitting on the Colts' PS and he's familiar with the system. At least you have someone if Thornhill isn't going to be your guy.

I know alot of people are screaming for Olivier Vernon. I'm sure Veach is keeping an eye on that situation. I'd be all about it too, but he tore his Achilles late in the year much like Fisher. I wouldn't hold out hope, but he's a guy that could be a prime pickup late in the year.
kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.