View Single Post
Old 10-05-2021, 02:27 PM   #18
Sauntering Vaguely Downwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.city View Post
What would it take to get Barnett? Would he need a deal soon?
Yeah, he has those silly 'void' years on his deal as part of a restructure for 2021.

I'm not actually sure how the dead cap figures work on void years. I think they trigger when the trade is made and thus end up as dead cap on the trading teams figures the following season. Mostly because they're fake years - he's already been paid the amounts 'due' in those seasons, they exist solely for the purpose of pro-rating the deal out. If he's already been paid the money, then the cap hit falls to the team dealing him.

But it's not impossible that they follow the player to the acquiring team and then hit that teams cap the following season. In which case I'm disinclined to trade for Barnett and carry a $7 million dead cap charge next season due to the voided years.

But I think for that to be the case, those amounts will need to have not been paid yet - in which case it's not a 'voided years' situation but rather a situation with guaranteed salary still due.

So I'm fairly confident the Eagles would take the cap hit if they traded him, but not 100% positive.

EDIT: The 'career earnings' tab on Spotrac says he made $10.1 million this year, which means he got all that in a lump sum with the void years there for pro-rating purposes, in which case it's on the Eagles cap, not the Chiefs if they trade for him.
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.