Thread: Movies and TV Netflix: Mindhunter
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2019, 10:03 PM   #142
Supporter

So I watched both seasons. If you get the time, I recommend that approach. There is a lot to keep track of. Especially after 2 years.

In the first season, there was really a lot of great camerawork and blocking that reinforced a lot of storytelling. Really compelling shit. For instance, when they got out of the car at the junkyard with the chick that got her tits cut off, they showed Holden getting out of the car with his shiny shoes stepping in the mud. That showed how they were coming out of the clean abstract and down into the mud. There was also a scene where Bill and Holden were in the elevator after some shit went sideways and they were leaning on their respective sides of the elevator right against the edges of the shot showing how far apart they were. I'm sure there are many more I missed, but it was really really good filmmaking.

The second season wasn't as overt about it, but still well shot.

The second season did a better job of putting actual stakes on their work. The panic attacks were well done. Bill's story line was really well done and well acted. Wendy's situation was well played.

RE: Wendy's relationship. I thought it was an interesting dive, especially after the boss tried to pawn her off on the horndog. That was....**** man.

RE: Bill's storyline. Yeah, Nancy was fairly ****y through the whole thing, but my god McCallany played that impeccably. Just really an amazing performace. As an extension, almost every scene he's in, he absolutely crushes. When he's on it, He oozes disarming charm, when someone got under his skin, he absolutely shuts fools down. Goddamn, that performance is just incredible. Rewatch it and focus on Tench, it's incredible. In fact, I'm going to start saying, "Of course" when anyone asks for something.

RE: Holden. His shtick kind of wore on me. I haven't figured out if it is entirely intentional or not. Some of it for sure is, but I don't know yet about all of it. I think without Debbie to bounce his ideas off, I think he just came off as weird and brooding. It was probably necessary to come out of the boyish newness, but I think part of what they were going for fell flat.

RE: Manson. Dewey! Dude killed it. It was well written and acted. Is there an actual transcript or video of that one? Christ.

RE: Kemper. That is compelling television. Obviously most of the footage is in Season 1, but my god.

RE: Effect on me. Twisted said he wanted to savor it. I don't. It is compelling television and I wanted to get through it, but some of that shit; Brian's creepiness, talking about raping kids, Kemper describing ****ing his mom's neck. Christ. Shit hangs with you, and I needed to purge myself from those ideas.
Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.