Thread: Movies and TV Star Wars: The Mandalorian
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2021, 08:20 AM   #1599
BAMF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mennonite View Post
Hmm...that's tough. I like a lot of older shows mainly. I like the original Twilight Zone quite a bit. I'm a fan of the older Trek shows, TNG and DS9 in particular. I like Gunsmoke both on tv and on radio. Breaking Bad is probably the newest show that I've really enjoyed; it was fantastic. Let's see...I also like the original run of Columbo, the first 8 or 9 seasons of The Simpsons. Those are some of the shows I can usually watch again and again.

As I said, my main problem with The Mandalorian is that all the plots (that I watched) are very familiar to me.

In five episodes you have:

- Hired gunman turns against his employer plot
- Killer becomes protector of the defenseless.(Lonewolf & Cub redux)
- Seven Samurai/Magnificent Seven save the village plot
- Inevitable betrayal by younger partner plot

I do think this is the best SW product since the mid 80s. the production values are fantasic. The eclectic guest stars are interesting. But if you grew up on a diet of westerns, both traditional and spaghetti, have seen the half-dozen Lone Wolf and Cub movies, The Mechanic (1976) and assorted Kurosawa flicks it's hard to not find the show a little predictable.

P.S. They should have had Werner Herzog direct an episode instead of being a guest star. You let him direct "Mandalor, the Wrath of God" featuring a cgi Klaus Kinski squeezing the shit out of Baby Yoda and I'll sign up for Disney+ in a heartbeat.

Edit: I said that I thought this was the best SW related thing I've come across, but that isn't true; I really like the original KOTOR game.
Thanks! That's a damn good answer!

I'm only mid-thirties but I've watched countless westerns. I have no idea how many. My step-father loved westerns, and so I watched them with him, and now that he is gone I really miss those days. It was of course tit-for-tat and he had to watch all the Godzilla movies with me when they came on TNT MonsterVision. That was a big deal for me since I'd get to stay up late as a little kid... though truthfully we'd both pass out pretty early on.

Anyway, the point I am getting to is that when I watch The Mandalorian I feel a warm spot in my heart from all those tried and true well-used plots as they take me back to watching all those westerns.

Your list of shows overlaps with my own, apart from Columbo which I've never really watched, but am aware of. I am going to take a swing and probably miss but you may want to give a go at watching The Expanse. It's a damn good SciFi drama on Amazon Prime that in some ways combines The Twilight Zone, Star Trek, and yes, even Columbo. It's got the seriousness of Breaking Bad, as well as a slow burn and character growth. It does start slow, but around episode 4 most people seem to get hooked.
bowener has disabled reputation