View Single Post
Old 08-16-2020, 02:34 PM   #4215
World's Best Boss

In traditional circumstances I would be 100% in agreement - especially if you have a top ten QB. However, in the 49ers position I think you have to rely on the strength of your football team (ranked 2nd in the league) - especially since the time remaining is very much operating as a 12th teammate at the point on the field.

It reminds me of when Haley would refuse to hand the ball off to Charles and would instead opt to have Matt Cassel chuck the hall in spite of having zero trust in Matt. It also makes me think of the 2013 and 2017 playoff games where Andy ran the ball seven? times despite having a lead in the second half. Am I remembering right that Andy only gave the ball to Kareem three times in the 2nd half in the 2017 game against the Titans?

Don’t get me wrong, with Mahomes I really could not care less if Andy chucks the ball 50 times in the 2nd half up by 20. Whatever. It’s Pat. He can be trusted. But Jimmy? I don’t see it. Shanny did a similar thing in their loss against the Ravens earlier in the year. It was 4th and 1, Mostert had shredded the Ravens all game in the pouring rain and what does Shanny call? Two passes on two different 4th and 1’s, one of which Jimmy flat out missed a wide open receiver. The play calls can be perfect on Shanny’s end, but at the end of the day if you’re trusting Jimmy to deliver over Mostert and Kittle (who’s blocking), you’re probably out thinking yourself. At a certain point, it doesn’t matter if the defense knows what’s coming, you just gotta rely on your guys to beat them. I think some coaches (even great ones) forget that when they try to fool a defense by giving up their bread and better, they underestimate the gift they’re giving to their opponent by moving away from the dominant part of their team. Heck even Tyrann said the defense was thankful the 49ers moved away from the run.

Funnily enough, I would trust Matt Ryan in that situation way more than Jimmy - but Falcons fans hilariously all called Kyle to keep chucking the ball and blow the lead in the 4th - which he did. It was basically a massive salt filled celebration on the Falcons subreddit after the game.

The thing that interests me the most is that Andy was actually quicker to rely on the run in the 2nd half of the Titans game with Mahomes than he was 2 seasons ago with Alex. It has to help that both the Titans and Niners allowed the Chiefs red carpet access to the running game due to their very justified fears of Patrick.

Last edited by Chiefspants; 08-17-2020 at 11:25 PM..
Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote