View Single Post
Old 05-03-2021, 09:10 AM   #24
I’m a Mahomo!

https://theathletic.com/2562306/2021...-from-1-to-32/

Eagles, Browns, Lions, Bears: Dane Brugler ranks his favorite 2021 NFL Draft classes from 1 to 32

This is my spin on grading the NFL Draft hauls for each team. Instead of handing out letter grades, I power-ranked the 32 clubs based on my favorite draft classes, from best to worst.

Quote:
1. Philadelphia Eagles

2. Cleveland Browns

3. Detroit Lions

4. Chicago Bears

5. Los Angeles Chargers

Favorite pick: Rashawn Slater, OT, Northwestern
Call it luck or call it smart process, the Chargers could have been pressured to trade up for the quarterback last year or the left tackle this year. But they stayed put both years and landed Justin Herbert and Slater. Regardless, job well done by Tom Telesco and his staff.

Day 3 pick who could surprise: Brenden Jaimes, OT, Nebraska
I loved what the Chargers did on Day 3, especially with Rumph and Niemann. But the value of Jaimes (pronounced HYME-iss) outside the top-150 picks was outstanding. Nebraska has a vast history of producing offensive lineman, but none started more consecutive games than Jaimes, who should at-worst be a rock-solid swing tackle. With Slater and Jaimes, the Chargers remade the tackle depth chart in one draft.

9. Miami Dolphins

11. Denver Broncos

Favorite pick: Patrick Surtain, CB, Alabama
A year ago at this time, the cornerback position was a glaring question mark on the Broncos’ roster, but general manager George Paton quickly turned a weakness into a strength. With his technique, athleticism and instincts, Surtain is ready to compete vs. NFL receivers from day one.

Day 3 pick who could surprise: Jamar Johnson, FS, Indiana
The second of two safeties drafted in the fifth round, Johnson will make business decisions as a tackler, and that is an obvious concern. But his ability in coverage could earn him snaps in the nickel as a rookie.

13. Baltimore Ravens

21. Buffalo Bills

23. Kansas City Chiefs

Favorite pick: Creed Humphrey, OG/C, Oklahoma
The Chiefs focused on remaking the offensive line depth chart this offseason and that continued on draft weekend with Humphrey. Kansas City added established interior starters in free agency like Joe Thuney and Austin Blythe, and Humphrey gives them more competition and a long-term starter.

Day 3 pick who could surprise: Trey Smith, OG, Tennessee
Smith carried first-round grades from scouts last summer, but up-and-down senior tape and his medical background caused his freefall on draft weekend. Nonetheless, he has a unique blend of size, power and movement skills and if he becomes a starter, that shouldn’t surprise anyone.

30. Las Vegas Raiders

Favorite pick: Trevon Moehrig, FS, TCU
Leading into the draft, Moehrig seemed to be an ideal fit for what the Raiders covet at a position of need. But would they have to draft him at No. 17 to get him? Instead, they traded up to land him and his rangy ball skills at pick No. 43.

Day 3 pick who could surprise: Tyree Gillespie, DS, Missouri
They also traded up for Gillespie in the fourth. With safety such a problem area, I don’t blame Las Vegas for using multiple resources to address the issue. I wish Gillespie made more plays on the football, but his play speed and toughness are what you want at the position.

32. Houston Texans
KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.