Thread: Movies and TV *The NEW Movies Thread*
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2014, 02:16 PM   #753
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
I have been trying to make myself watch classic movies that I've missed. I recently caught "Of Mice and Men" and thought it was pretty good.

However, I watched "The Deer Hunter" last weekend and was, ummm - underwhelmed. I know it won a shit ton of Oscars but I didn't care for it. It seemed badly in need of editing (the wedding scene was almost an hour long, with almost no dialog) and it seemed like most of the dialog was the characters shouting at each other.

I found this review and have to agree.
The Deer Hunter is certainly among the more controversial of the classics. As Pauline Kael stated, it was a small-minded film with greatness in it.

I would suggest reading her review, found here

http://books.google.com/books?id=tkS...20kael&f=false

But I would defend the extended periods of simple observation, as in the extensive wedding scene. One thing I loved about 70s cinema was a willingness to simply drop us into a life or set of lives and find our way. Robert Altman perhaps did it most expertly in films such as Nashville
Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.