Thread: Movies and TV Must Watch Series
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2019, 09:34 AM   #874
Supporter

So I watched the Romanoffs on Amazon. It bears noting that I had it on in the office while I was trying to knock some stuff out, so I undoubtedly missed some things. But it was a worthwhile watch as long as you know what you're getting into.

I didn't, but it got it's hooks into me pretty early because the first episode is really well acted. Well written too, but I'll get to that.

The big thing is if you go in with any expectations, it is important to know the structure. It is essentially like a book of short stories that are all but unrelated. They're fairly long, and are pretty intensive watches. Not necessarily what I was looking for doing work in the office but whatever. They're also straight character pieces. The relationship to the Romanov family doesn't matter, largely. And they are pretty art house-y. They also tackle some pretty heavy social issues. They do so rationally (and thoroughly), IMO, but beware if you're easily offended by that kind of stuff be advised.

Additionally on the note of the writing, it just dumps you into a story and the details come out. And as representative of real life, it's messy. So don't expect some cohesive storyline that follows a standard trope.

It wasn't what I needed to have on while trying to knock out work, but it had me hooked. That kind of stuff normally isn't my bag, but the writing and storytelling was good enough that I kept watching, even though there were clean and definitive breaks between the stories. I'm far from qualified enough to talk about it, but it wouldn't surprise me if this was remembered (perhaps far later) as a definitive work of whatever era we are in these days. All the while, I doubt it is some sort of brilliant success. It is a fairly intensive watch and that can be hard to lock up huge audiences these days.

As a guy that isn't normally into this kind of stuff, I thought it was really good.
Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.