View Single Post
Old 02-09-2024, 10:54 AM   #2
Sauntering Vaguely Downwards

yeah - this is why I've always said "Hey, I'm fine with the theory of a trade out of the 1st round, but in practice we'd never get as much as I'd want to do it..."

An extra 3rd rounder is the bare minimum I'd take. And nobody ever wants to give up that much. And the reasoning has become pretty straighforward - past the top 20 guys in the draft, you're really looking at a bunch of similarly situated players for the next 50. It's rare that there's anybody sitting at 40 who has a guy who's just a clear tier ahead on their board that feels the need to give up a valuable pick in the 3rd round to move up 8 spots.

By and large they figure that if they can't have 1a on their list, 1k will be just fine because there's just not enough separation anymore at that point in the draft.

So teams will trade up if they 'win' the deal and the only way they're doing that is with a 4th rounder. For me, I'd rather have the flexibility afforded by the 5th year option than an additional 4th rounder.

Now Veach has done some real nice work with those early day 3 picks, so I can understand why he may be less dogmatic. But it's just not how I'd roll.
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote