View Single Post
Old 05-16-2022, 07:06 PM   #71
Suupraa Geniuuusss

You might want to look into Orangetheory if there's one close enough to you. It's something like $180/month, which breaks down to just $15/session if you go just three times a week.

I was a member for 4 years, before a rash of injuries (unrelated to working out) forced me to cancel my membership last year. I'll probably reup later this year if my health remains stable until then. But without question those 4 years marked the healthiest I've been since college when I stopped playing soccer. I lost a ton of weight, returned to about 85% of my 20-something strength, and regained a lot of real-world stamina and strength.

Basically, it's a scheduled workout combining both cardio and strength training with a group of other clients and one or two qualified trainer/instructors. Each workout is different, so it's hard to get bored (in 4 years I never repeated a workout and most of the time I was going at least 4 times/week). They professionally design the workouts, so no more guessing what you should next or even how or what to train from one day to the next.

Also there's a nice social aspect as well as a bit of competitiveness if that's your thing.

For example, i was going to the 7am class a lot at first right after work and ended up having several friendly competitions with another client. It started out with who would lose more weight in thirty days, then who would have a better heart rate average, who could hold a plank longer, row farther in 10 minutes, and so on. Loser would buy the other a smoothie or something next door. I'm competitive, so this worked out very well for me.

As for results, well I lost 27 lbs. in the first 40 days. I ran a sub-7 minute mile 2 months after my first day for the first time in over a decade. I cut over 100 seconds from my first mile run from that first week.

Even if you don't stick with it forever, OT an teach you a lot about how to design workouts that are extremely efficient, proper forms, appropriate expectations and the like. It seems kind of pricey on the surface, but you get a lot of value for your money, imo.

P.S. another issue people don't think about is how well you get along with your trainer. The nice thing about OT is that each class time is usually the same trainer. So Monday at 8am is pretty much always going to be steve or Tracy or whoever. 9am will be someone else usually. So you have a great opportunity in the first month or so to figure out which trainers you like; who gets you/motivates you best. All just by clicking on whatever class you want on the schedule, as all classes online let you know who's teaching every class. Each OT employs several (up to a dozen?) trainers, so you probably will find a couple that work best for you and your wfe.

Last edited by Megatron96; 05-16-2022 at 07:14 PM..
Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.