Thread: Life The bee keeper diaries
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2019, 11:31 PM   #319
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowanian View Post
I've never been tested for allergies, but rag weed has been high lately, so I assume that and I assume I have some tree pollen issues that come up earlier in the spring.

Grove, I'm assuming for the newspaper method, I simply pull the top from the main hive, put a layer of newspaper over it, and place the donor hive on top of it and cover it? They have to chew through to get out and by that time the bees are used to each others' smell enough they won't murder each other? The other idea I've seen is to spray both with sugar water and them dump them together? I know I can still buy a queen, but I"m concerned there isn't enough time left for this hive to build up enough to survive by the time the flow stops.

The only item I'm pondering is they hives are about 20' apart right now. If I did the newsprint/hive blend do you think the time it takes them to chew through and assimilate they would re-orient to the new hive?

Also, I'm going to try to process comb honey this weekend and will take some pics of that to share.
Allergies are a bitch.

I took immunization shots for 7 years and they didn't help a lot. Pigweed/Palmer/Waterhemp is the butt****ing devil. It winds me up like a clock.

Corn pollen to a lesser extent but there is so much of that shit that it's pretty much a shit day if I have to walk pollinating corn.
Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.