View Single Post
Old 02-19-2016, 02:32 PM   #1618
Sauntering Vaguely Downwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! View Post
I agree with you on most things, DJ, but this is just not true. I regularly get great crust and maillard in my cast iron around 400. The key is making sure the steak is dry. If it's moist, the crust won't start to form until all the water has evaporated, which is a painful amount of time.

An hour uncovered in the fridge is enough to dry out the surface of the meat.
I mean fire temp.

I never actually put the gun on my cast iron, to be honest. When it's smokin', it's hot enough. I suspect the heat needed for a sear when you have direct contact is substantially lower so I have no reason to disagree with you there.

But a 400 degree open fire isn't gonna do shit for a sear; not enough surface area and too much energy lost.
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.