View Single Post
Old 07-13-2020, 03:06 PM   #15298
MVP

I find premium store brands and heat them up and add some seasonings, My Moose(smoked Goast pepper mix) dust, and sometimes some drippings from a recent smoke.
I add pork/ beef/ chicken and root veggie stock cooked down the point that it sticks to a spoon without dripping after tasting. Some of this complex, silky, and spoonable delicacy is added to the store bought sauce.
Krogers PS "inspired" sauces are what I have been amping up with heat and complexity. Their coffee infused was the best base I have used so far and a IPA ale, vinagar/ mustard BBQ sauce cranks up a few notches when "Kicked Up" a bit.

And KC Masterpeice was great when made small batch under the Dr. Davis's control vs. the price per nana ounce crap made by Clorox who changed recipe and ingrediants to the trash it is now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut View Post
I've tried a handful of times.

It's....fine. It's better than that Kraft shit and KC Masterpiece. But in the end I realized that I'm not making anything demonstrably better than Firebug, Night of the Living or Head Country.

It's a little like hot sauce in that regard, I've tried to make my own hot sauces as well and they're fine - they work. But I don't find myself reaching for them over basic Crystal hot sauce or some of the more exotic stuff I can get from places like Pepper Palace.

I do make my own mustard sauce, though. It's kinda tough to get my hands on a good mustard sauce outside of the Carolinas. Even something like Maurice's isn't easy to get ahold of and it's basic enough to make that I just mix up my own.

But a good 'red' sauce, be it vinegar or molasses based, is gonna require a shitload of work to get past what I can get in a bottle. I'd have to boil down tomatoes and stuff and that's just more than I'm willing to do. If I'm gonna do something half-assed and start from a ketchup base or something like that, why even bother? People that do this for a living have dialed in some damn good sauces I can pay $4 for and unscrew a lid.
cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.