View Single Post
Old 10-23-2021, 12:01 PM   #34
Old, not Dead

EMDR is akin to a form of hypnosis. It helps some people, but it's not a sure thing.

PTSD, depending on the severity, never goes away. The best one can do is figure out the triggers for an episode and create distance for those triggers.

In other words, stay the hell away from things that trigger the reliving of the trauma. Respect the trauma and stay away from triggers.

Your friend caring for his dad may not have that luxury. If his dad's Alzheimer's is triggering a disabling PTSD event in your friend it may be time to get caregivers involved. I know it's not cheap, but it's better than being disabled with PTSD.

When my father-in-law descended into dementia my ex tried to do it all herself. It was just too much. We all pitched in to help. But he would wander off. He wouldn't recognize people. He could get violent. He was trashing the house. We found a service of caregivers (all Filipino women for some reason) and the price was reasonable. The three women would rotate in shifts using the spare bedroom (8 hours each). They were a godsend. Very religious from a specific Catholic order, though we weren't looking for that, it just happened that way. They were wonderful to him and allowed the rest of us to visit, hug, cry and respect him as he faded away.

Here's hoping your friend is able to get some help.
LongSufferingToady must have mowed badgirl's lawn.LongSufferingToady must have mowed badgirl's lawn.LongSufferingToady must have mowed badgirl's lawn.LongSufferingToady must have mowed badgirl's lawn.LongSufferingToady must have mowed badgirl's lawn.LongSufferingToady must have mowed badgirl's lawn.LongSufferingToady must have mowed badgirl's lawn.LongSufferingToady must have mowed badgirl's lawn.LongSufferingToady must have mowed badgirl's lawn.LongSufferingToady must have mowed badgirl's lawn.LongSufferingToady must have mowed badgirl's lawn.