View Single Post
Old 09-22-2019, 02:31 AM   #10
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealSNR View Post
Unless Charvarious Ward turns into something more than jack shit, you need multiples.

Marcus Peters was amazing in 2015 and 2016, but he was especially good in 2015. That's because he had a very good Sean Smith on the opposite side. He left after that year, and we consistently got burned deep on Philip Gaines **** ups. Remember when we convinced ourselves we could be kinda sorta alright with Terrance Mitchell towards the end of 2016? And how well that worked out for us? Yeah... no.

Sure, even the best Marcus Peters had to offer isn't Jalen Ramsey, but does that matter? Did it matter how much Peters had his guy locked up when QBs kept hitting their guys over the top of Steven Nelson at nickel or Gaines/Mitchell?

That's why going into next year, if we managed to re-sign Breeland or Fuller, drafted somebody in the 1st/2nd round, and added more CB depth later in the draft or through the bargain bin of free agency, I'd prefer that to blowing the wad on Ramsey, giving him his big money, and not having a 1st round pick this year or the next year.

And if we went that route, it'd be tough, but we could also potentially keep somebody like Darron Lee instead of having to start all over at LB, too.
I guess I agree, but we are just projecting pretty far out - needing multiple corners assumes that Ward doesn't progress any this season, Fenton doesn't develop any and Reaser doesn't show anything when back from IR, which is literally the worst possible outcome.

I think the Chiefs were so exploitable with Peters because of Buttons and that he only played one side, so any team could just run rampant on the other side of the field. The Patriots on the other hand do a pretty good job with one shut down corner, just asking him to follow the number 2 receiver and double teaming the number 1 with safety help in most scenarios.

I do agree with you though, I would rather have two "number 2's" than a shutdown guy and some hot garbage on the other side.

The ideal scenario is probably giving a contract to one of Breeland and Fuller, trying to bring in another vet in the off season on a short ish term deal and then drafting a guy high ish and not putting too much pressure on him to start his first year.
Chargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli