View Single Post
Old 07-01-2020, 04:56 PM   #167
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealSNR View Post
I disagree, and I've been disagreeing with this mindset all offseason. Hell, probably before this offseason.

If healthy, Mahomes will get you in the playoffs. Every. Single. Year. Shitty defense? If he has enough weapons he'll still take you to the AFC Championship and just about win the ****ing thing. No running game? Still won a Super Bowl. Month-plus injuries to his top speed WR, LT, all while the defense had a billion new starters attempting to work through a new defense and new coaches? 12-4 and a 2 seed (and an eventual Super Bowl).

We're not the Kansas City Royals. We don't play baseball. We don't need to stock up and sell the farm once every 8-10 years and be mired in mediocrity the rest of the time. Our "down" years are still playoff years, and even in some of those "down" years we can't be counted out to make a magical run if things gel just right.

The idea of striking while the iron is hot is a bit irresponsible, because I'd rather have a decent chance at winning a Super Bowl into the extension years of Mahomes' career than trying to go all in now but have to look like the Seattle Seahawks after Russell's big money deal.

Going for all the marbles in a particular year is great and all, but if you miss on that opportunity (and it does happen-- it's the NFL) THAT'S how guys like Aaron Rodgers get their careers wasted.
So you would rather substantially lower our odds to repeat This year- to hopefully, increase our odds down the road? not me- I think we will win it again this year.

A lot of the guys came back on 1 year deals with Sammy taking a pay cut. So it is not like Veech pushed all of his chips in and completely mortgaged our future this offseason. Plus he brought in a lot of cheap talent- that will replace older / overpaid players in the coming seasons.

You can say he did that to some degree with bringing in Clark and Honey Badger. But would you rather be loaded in cap space not having these guys or a SB ring? In 10 years nobody cares how much cap space we had the last year-but will remember our SB forever.
Halfcan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Halfcan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Halfcan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Halfcan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Halfcan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Halfcan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Halfcan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Halfcan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Halfcan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Halfcan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Halfcan is obviously part of the inner Circle.