Thread: Movies and TV Star Wars: The Mandalorian
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2020, 07:23 PM   #1516
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud View Post
What am I missing here?

I've watched this a couple of times on a new 27" LED monitor and the only difference I've been able to spot is some really mild color-correction.
The depth of details on the face are much better on the new one. You can look closely at his mole or dimple to see that, but even his nose shape flattens a bit in the original. The color correction done likely by the final colorist to dampen highlights seems to have exacerbated it too.

The "improvement" has studio bright highlights and reflections in the eyes and that doesn't fit with the overall lighting of the scene so it stands out if you were watching more than a clip but it isn't horrible. It is made a bit worse because there is not enough lighting change when the head moves so the shadows don't have any temporal shift from frame to frame. The new version also broke the lip sync.

Overall, I'd say it is a wash, but the improved version definitely has a more appealing look with the brighter highlights even though that was not the intent of the scene. And there is no question the lack of depth of detail is the biggest problem with the original.
underEJ 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliunderEJ 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliunderEJ 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliunderEJ 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliunderEJ 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliunderEJ 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliunderEJ 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliunderEJ 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliunderEJ 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliunderEJ 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliunderEJ 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote