Thread: Other Sports SCUBA
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2019, 03:55 PM   #52
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDayz View Post
Was a submarine ship's diver, so 21% 98% of the time, 36% 2% of the time. And yeah, diving the boat in places like Naples, Groton, Norfolk, and even Charleston, were pretty terrible. But diving the rest of the waters in the Med., the waters near Oslo, fjords, and (very) far north, was worth every shit-hole and every shit dive I ever had to do... And squeezing into the ballast tanks was ALWAYS A JOY!!!

Speaking of tables and beating them into people.... My younger son just spent a couple of hours last night working tables (SSI and PADI), just to brush-up on the skill. I won't lie, it's fun, but it's important too. He, like me, has become to comfortable with the dive computers! And with most days being 4-dive days, being limited to 32%, and one 5-dive day, I want him to understand/be reminded of how much graduated dives and SIs matter. If you don't pay attention, the Suunto will have its way with you and you'll be a bobber and telling jokes with the topside watch. That being said, even with Suunto's crazy-careful algorithm, it gives you LOTS of time you wouldn't get if you use a pencil..
Good for your son-old school but provides understanding behind the computer. Enjoy your trip. Sounds very well planned. Yeah I went to school with a couple of sub divers (went before the USMC started their own school down at Panama City). I was senior guy and a Marine aviator so took lots of crap from the instructors. They commonly wore a dive shirt imprinted with, “Fly Navy. Divers need the work!”
Coyote has disabled reputation