Thread: Money I owe the IRS $4,000
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2020, 10:32 AM   #65
Dirty Bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by siberian khatru View Post
So I get home and the wife says she’s got bad news: A letter from the IRS saying we owe $4,000 on our 2018 taxes.

Apparently, she sent all the right paperwork to our tax preparer, but when the preparer returned the completed forms she forgot to include one. My wife failed to check that and signed the return (and got me to sign off, trusting her) and sent it off.

So here we are. My wife is afraid I’m going to divorce her. (I’m not.)

Anyone have an experience like this? Do we have any recourse? That 4 Grand could buy a lot of Super Bowl swag.
As a tax planner and advisor (yes, I also prepare), your preparer could/should potentially compensate you for any penalty associated with the balance due, assuming the preparer made a mistake in this case.

However, before you pay the penalty portion on your balance due, see if your preparer is willing to write a letter to the IRS, or assist you in writing a letter to the IRS. The IRS typically allows a one-time courtesy write off of any penalty for taxpayers who are not habitual late filers, etc. Since you mentioned that you've never had this happen to you before, I would bet you are eligible to have the penalty removed. They won't remove the interest, so don't even go down that road, haha.
RockChalk is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.RockChalk is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.RockChalk is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.RockChalk is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.RockChalk is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.RockChalk is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.RockChalk is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.RockChalk is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.RockChalk is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.RockChalk is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.RockChalk is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.