Thread: Music Megadeth > Metallica
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2014, 08:07 AM   #54
'Tis my eye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravedigger View Post
I'm a fan of Youthanasia personally. Of course Hangar 18 and Holy Wars are classics, but I thought Youthanasia was a good mix of what Megadeth was and what they were going to become. That strand of Rust in Peace, Countdown to Extinction, and Youthanasia were epic.
To me, those 3 albums are all Marty Friedman. If you have any of the re-issues, you can hear some of the demos Dave cut by himself and they're absolutely not the same.

That's not to say that Marty was the sole creative force because in reality Dave was the only real creative force. It was the effect Marty had on Dave that made those albums special. He brought a polish and musicianship that was really unparalleled at the time, IMO. The thing is, Friedman wasn't a typical thrash guitar player but he also wasn't a traditional neoclassical player, either. Sure, since Malmsteen and Rhoads broke on the scene in the early 80's, all kinds of guys were playing sweeping arpeggios and harmonic minor scales. Friedman took it to a whole new level. He wasn't afraid to mix it up in mixolydian or pull out some exotic Arabian scale. Combine that with some very unconventional phrasing and he was just uber-unique.

Again, you should listen to "Dragon's Kiss". Friedman's solo album is one of the best albums I've ever heard.
htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.