View Single Post
Old 07-01-2020, 12:43 PM   #124
M-I-Z-Z-O-U

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut View Post
If they have to take a 2nd when the 9ers were able to get a high 1st for a lesser player, that's a pretty shitty look for Veach.

They needed to have a better feel for how close they were on this one, IMO. I had identified the Colts as a great landing spot for him before the Buckner deal, though I preferred getting their 2 second rounders.

If the Chiefs weren't damn close to having a deal done, they really needed to outflank SF on that trade. Failing to do so will have significant long-term consequences for KC.

I’m thinking a high second there and probably paired with another pick (4th? Swap of thirds? Future 2nd). Didn’t say that but was just thinking about the headliner piece.

I think you can place most of the blame here on the pandemic and the projected dip in salary cap. With a projected increase, Jones is extendable even with Mahomes’ new deal and you still have some maneuverability in the cap.

Without it? Man, playing around with some extensions to Kelce, mathieu and Fisher I can see a way to free up the year 2 cap room you’d need, but that puts you in place for a precipitous talent drain in 2022/23 as those guys hit the portions of those extensions where you probably cut them and take some dead cap hits.

Getting the Buckner deal done before salary cap implications of the pandemic were evident AND with no hint of problems between Buckner and the 49ers were factors, plus you had the 5th year player option for Buckner, which changed the dynamic a bit (since it wasn’t a tag year).

I think it’s a hindsight situation.

HAD Veach known the cap situation was going to get messy, torpedo his plans to extend Jones, and lead to media fallout, I’m sure it would have been played differently...
duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.