View Single Post
Old 04-27-2021, 10:22 AM   #223
Tossed Salad & Scrambled Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Meck View Post
Guys, it's like this:

If Mahomes was 40, and we were trying to make one last run, then yeah, maybe you look at paying Jones to help get you over the top. You know you're probably about to do a total rebuild, and this is last hurrah time.

Mahomes is 25; and if you're smart about things, you can extend this Super Bowl window indefinitely without screwing yourself.

You don't pay Jones #1 money at his age to come here and be the #3 option and hope he stays healthy. You still have Hill, Kelce, and Hardman. You have some JAGS who know the offense. You've rebuilt the offensive line from offensive to stellar, and in so you'll be able to properly utilize last year's number one pick, Clyde, better.

What you need to do is start restocking with younger talent at WR to help you some this year, and develop them into tomorrow's stars as Hill and Kelce decline.

#3 option is not a place to spend a ton of money; but drafting a WR in the second round that may one day be option #1 or #2 is a good place to put draft capital.

You want an over 30 player coming off injury that makes more sense? Sign Ingram to be part of your LDE situation. And STILL draft a guy, too.
Yep, fair enough - I've evolved, and now that's where I land, with one major caveat: If Veach is game, I'm game.

That said, historically, Veach's bread and butter move is all about value. Guys who are talented, but down and out and therefore inexpensive. 1st round cast-aways. Ragland, Baker, Callaway etc...

His other move is to secure talent when its available on the open market at a discount because of our ability to compete for rings. McCoy, Bell, etc...

Occasionally, he will make splash moves like Matheiu, Clark, Watkins, Hitchens, and now OBJ - those players were for the most part entering their early prime or mid prime. The only departure from that would have been Trent Williams, given his age. Thankfully, it didn't pan out.

Injuries, Age, and Elite Talent considerations aside, given JJ's price tag, I think it's a non-starter for Veach.

It is fun to dream, though.
Dante84 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dante84 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dante84 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dante84 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dante84 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dante84 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dante84 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dante84 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dante84 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dante84 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dante84 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote