Thread: Biggest need?
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2020, 07:36 PM   #15
MVP

How I view "needs" as they currently look...

I think the "must address" are these:
1. CB - Three free agents in Breeland, Fuller, and Claiborne and Ward is a FA after 2020. I can't imagine you can fill this all through free agency, especially for the long-term.
2. LB - Two free agents in Ragland and Lee leaving no real third starter as it's obvious Niemann and O'Daniel aren't starting material. Sorensen fills the role at times but he could also be a cap casualty.
3. WR - If Watkins is retained in some way and doesn't become a cap casualty, then this need severely lessens. If not, our only legit receivers right now are Hill, Hardman, and Pringle.
4. DT - Chris Jones, Mike Pennel, and Xavier Williams are all free agents, which leaves Nnadi, Saunders, and Speaks. If Chris Jones is not retained then a pass rushing 3-tech becomes an obvious void that needs to be filled. Even then, the Chiefs have to bring back another rotational player, hopefully Pennel.
5. TE - Bell is a FA, but could be brought back cheap. Yelder is an ERFA. Really, we have Kelce at the moment. And what if something happens to Kelce? Certainly Bell and Yelder don't bring enough to the table to fill even part of that void.
6. S - I think it really depends on what the team does with Sorensen (cut v keep) and the progress of Thornhill. Right now we have 4 safeties under contract but rolling into the season with possibly only Mathieu, Watts, and Sorensen is not ideal. The Chiefs should retain either Fuller or Lucas and draft a guy.

The rest are primarily upgrades or at least in need of small additions:
7. IOL - We return or can bring back our entire O-line but it's obvious that upgrades are needed across the board.
8. DE - We have 4 DEs under contract in Clark, Okafor, Kpass, and Harris, plus Ward on futures but Kpass is a FA after 2020. That said, losing Ogbah and Suggs would be pretty big. I'd like to see us retain Ogbah. He was our best DE the first half of the season until Clark got healthy and would be very good as the other starter. If Ogbah isn't retained, then KC really needs to address this somehow.
9. RB - The cupboard isn't bare but the only "proven" RB on the roster is Damien Williams. Darrell looked okay in spots. Darwin Thompson doesn't look like he belongs in the NFL so far. Like Wilson, I also like McGuire and Weber as prospects but we really don't know what they are yet. I think the Chiefs need a stronger player as a true #1 or #2 back.
10. QB - The Chiefs can bring back Henne or Moore and still have Shurmur, but it's still a need-to-do situation. I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable with Shurmur guiding the team for a couple games if need be just yet.
kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.