Thread: Home and Auto EV Cars/Trucks
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2022, 03:04 AM   #22
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFace View Post
DC fast chargers might require some infrastructure development, but typically that's centralized and is more for people passing through. Home charging typically tops out at 50 amps (mine is 30), which is about what an air conditioner uses. If people all charge at the same time during the day in the middle of the summer while everyone's AC is running, it could cause some issues, but it shouldn't be a huge issue at night.
DC fast chargers such as the Tesla superchargers would take some development but as you say, they are mainly for people passing through.

I know it’s different depending on the region of the country, but where i live, the biggest load is peak AC usage in the summer. Most of the heating is from natural gas and it doesn’t get that cold here. So a typical load curve in the summer is a steady climb until around 5-6 pm. The local utility (where I also work) is very aggressive with load peak management, using time of use pricing to encourage people to charge their EV’s when load is the lowest.

In my house I have a Tesla charger but I could have easily installed a NEMA 14-50 RV style plug and used that as well. Because of the pricing breaks for EV owners, I set the charge to occur between midnight and 6 am, at a price of around 8 cents / kWH.

I love the Model Y Performance. If anyone is interested in geeking out over any aspects of it, I would be happy to build an even bigger wall of text.
Macroach has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Macroach has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Macroach has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Macroach has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Macroach has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Macroach has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Macroach has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Macroach has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Macroach has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Macroach has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Macroach has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.