Thread: Home and Auto EV Cars/Trucks
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2022, 04:01 PM   #20
Abandoned Former Rams Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFace View Post
DC fast chargers might require some infrastructure development, but typically that's centralized and is more for people passing through. Home charging typically tops out at 50 amps (mine is 30), which is about what an air conditioner uses. If people all charge at the same time during the day in the middle of the summer while everyone's AC is running, it could cause some issues, but it shouldn't be a huge issue at night.
I'm not sure which number you're referencing (30 vs 50 amps), but even 30 would be massively inefficient for a modern AC. For instance I just went & looked, the 4 ton unit at my work's minimum circuit ampacity is 16.7. The unit probably actually draws less than 15. That's a 20 year old 4 ton unit (the biggest residential unit is 5 tons) hardly the most efficient thing you'll find now days.

So you could basically run two 4 ton AC's for what you use to charge your car, now if you're wife wants one to that's 4 AC's & god forbid you get the 50 amp version, no the two of you are using the equivalent of like 6 AC units just to charge your cars.

Also adding 2 cars at 50 amps a piece is a massive electrical upgrade. Most people with gas appliances have 100 Amp service running their entire house.
ScareCrowe would the whole thing.ScareCrowe would the whole thing.ScareCrowe would the whole thing.ScareCrowe would the whole thing.ScareCrowe would the whole thing.ScareCrowe would the whole thing.ScareCrowe would the whole thing.ScareCrowe would the whole thing.ScareCrowe would the whole thing.ScareCrowe would the whole thing.ScareCrowe would the whole thing.