View Single Post
Old 01-22-2015, 09:06 PM   #101
Space Cadet and Aczabel

Quote:
Originally Posted by keg in kc View Post
Belief is a rough thing, I'm pretty skeptical about everything. I'm mainly just looking for cool stories and ideas or concepts that I hadn't really considered before.

As far as extraterrestrials traveling here, I think in a way it's arrogant to believe that they can't simply because we can't. We're so young in terms of age of the universe. I think it's a vestige of the old earth centric view of the universe and an artifact of western religion. And I think it's entirely possible that we ourselves solve that distance problem in the next thousand years, yet still be thousands or millions or even billions of years behind other sentient species in the universe. As far as the Fermi paradox goes, maybe the signs are there and we just aren't advanced enough to see them yet. Personally I think SETI, while a romantic idea, is a bit silly with the focus on radio signals.

All that said, it doesn't mean anyone has, is or will ever visit here. But I wouldn't want to discount the possibility just because of our primitive understanding of the universe.

Same would be true for alternative ideas like time travel, or extra-dimensional beings inhabiting the same relative space, or even something as off the wall as having UFOs and ghosts being a similar phenomenon, that time is perhaps not a linear thing and we're somehow perceiving imprints of things that exist in different eras but can somehow creep into ours or exist everywhere at once.

No idea's too crazy to at least consider, although I'm a bit skeptical of the whole space brothers from zeta reticuli point of view.

And maybe it's more than one thing.
Here's the problem. I have no problem believing that there are Aliens capable of such feats of travel. But lets just say they sent 10 probes that could hit 3 star systems a day to explore JUST the Milky Way. There are about 300 billion stars plus billions more in globular clusters around the Milky Way. If each of the 10 probes could scan 3 star systems a day for life it would take on average 13,600,000 years to find us. Thats scanning only 1 galaxy. It there are 250,000,000,000 galaxies this would literally take an infinite amount of time to scan half the galaxies (on average to find ours) and then almost 14 million years to find us once they started on the Milky way. Plus ever other galaxy our size would take 28 million years to explore.

And thats assuming instant teleportation between star systems.

Last edited by Dave Lane; 01-22-2015 at 09:21 PM..
Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.