View Single Post
Old 07-26-2019, 01:24 PM   #164
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Lee View Post
Went ahead and queued it last night.

Was an excellent film, if a tad Hollywood-stylized [which I realize is an odd criticism of this particular film, and it's not it's fault, but time has witnessed a move away from prestige films looking like Hollywood productions, . . grittier, less 'star power,' ironically].

The performances were great, but the one true star of the movie is James Elroy. Such a narrative. Such writing.

A close second was Cromwell's understated accent. Could so easily have fallen into caricature.

I disagree that Basinger was the weakest acting of the bunch. But I do think her OScar was lifted a bit by Hollywood's love of her character [they love when Hollywood lionizes Hollywood /cough Shakespeare in Love]. This also was Elroy's creativity.
She basically had no character arc. She started as a whore with a heart of gold type and ended that way. OTOH all the other main characters change significantly as the story unfolds.

Don't get me wrong - I thought Basinger did a excellent job. Just not as good as the others.

Ironically, one of the pivotal moments of the film - when Dudley asks Exley about Rolo Tomasi - wasn't in the book. Elroy said he was just as surprised by that as everybody else.
Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.