View Single Post
Old 05-03-2017, 09:14 PM   #1561
I’m a Mahomo!

*****The Patrick Mahomes Thread*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by rico View Post
But-but that's not possible!!! Mahomes and Webb played in air raid systems...there's no way they lead the way in velocity over those other NFL prospects!!! Too bad they played in those air raid systems!!! Now they'll never be able to put those big arms to use!!! Because of the air raid!!!

60 MPH...very impressive...how does it compare to other QB's already in the league?

Found this:
Quote:
According to a May 2014 article from popular sports blog “For The Win,” former Virginia Tech QB Logan Thomas set a velocity record when he threw a 60 mph pass at the NFL combine. It was the highest recorded speed in the seven years since the league began tracking the velocity of its QB hopefuls.

Thomas became the first player to crack the 60 mph barrier and established a new record by edging out the previous mark of 59 mph set by Colin Kaepernick in 2011.

Although you didn’t ask this in your question, I decided to see how success between the speed of a QB’s pass correlated to success on the field. And, as a point of reference decided to include the same “study” - if you will - on the effectiveness of a MLB pitcher in regards to the speed of their pitches.

As expected, the speed at which at QB throws has very little to do with his overall success. Whereas in baseball, it weighs much heavier.

In a strict comparison of the two, a baseball travels much faster than a football. Obviously. Which is one reason speed is not nearly the commodity in football that it is in baseball. A sport where it’s coveted. Of course, the football is an oblong object nearly a foot in length. Meanwhile, a baseball fits comfortably in the palm of one’s hand. A baseball is “built for speed.” A football is not.

Don’t misunderstand what I’m saying. I’m not saying “speed” isn’t an important quality for a QB to possess. It is important. However, it’s a small portion of a greater whole in terms of what it takes, physically, to be a successful QB.

Jeff George, a rocket armed QB from Illinois took the college football world by storm with his dazzling passes and big play ability. There wasn’t a throw George couldn’t make and a deep ball he couldn’t hit. And while he spent nearly 15 years in the league he never broached the considerable expectations placed upon him coming out of college. Because while he maintained one of the strongest arms the league has ever seen, the fact he could throw hard mattered little as he floundered from one team to the next.

I think one reason for this is these guys with strong arms are so used to getting by on that arm as their coming up through the ranks they become more reliant on their rocket launchers and less susceptible to coaching and teaching. They foster a belief that arm will bail them out of any and all situations. It’s a false sense of security.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.