Thread: Movies and TV *The NEW Movies Thread*
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2023, 10:30 PM   #4140
Supporter

I've been on a bit of a WWII kick since Oppenheimer. So I re-watched Darkest Hour.

I watched it once and under-appreciated it.

1. Gary Oldman is goddamned brilliant. Churchill is a tough egg to crack, and he hit it. There were a shitload of mannerisms, mumbling, doddering, etc that he could have stumbed on and he ****ing killed it.

2. Lilly James is PROFOUNDLY attractive.

3. Ben Mendelsohn was really good. I didn't even notice him the first time around, but he's ****ing good. Pretty much every time I see him in something, he exceeds expectations.

4. I don't know what the real story is (probably not what was shown on screen), but the subway scene was goddamned compelling. The writing and camerawork were tight as hell and Oldman oozed charisma. I honestly don't know how you make that scene any better.

5. Of course the never surrender speech is rousing, but if they're going to hit all the other stuff, that is a foregone conclusion.

You have to be in the right mood to watch it - it's British, so it can be a bit dry, but it's really ****ing good if you're in the right frame of mind.

Last edited by Buehler445; 08-28-2023 at 12:47 PM..
Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote