View Single Post
Old 05-27-2020, 03:14 PM   #5548
I could of gone pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvy View Post
So how many instances of DUI's in a golf cart at The Villages?
In normal times, there's probably one a week, of course just like with cars, if stopped everyone they probably give tickets to 50% of the drivers at night, especially when the bands are playing at the 3 squares. There is a live band everyday playing at the 3 squares from 5pm to 9pm. Usually it happens when someone strays off of a cart path onto a busy street and then that cops get involved.

It's almost a bigger problem is speeding. By Florida law a cart cannot go more than 20 mph, or even be capable of going over 20mph. So if you're stopped say for going 25, which my Yamaha is capable of doing, you don't get a speeding ticket, you get an unregistered vehicle ticket. Because of the law, you are no longer driving a golf cart, it's considered a LSV (Low Speed Vehicle) you can buy a golf cart that will do 30, they're classified as a LSV and not a golf cart. You'll need regular car insurance, you need windshield wipers and seat belts and you'll a Florida license plate which is $450 the first time. Not too many buy the LSVs, most people buy regular carts and speed them up and hope not to get caught. They might give out 50 tickets a year for having a fast golf cart, which is about $450.

What I mean about straying onto a busy street. The main north south and east west roads are 4 lane divided and the golf carts travel on their own separate cart paths, we call them MMP (Multi-model paths) because bicycles can also use them.

Over highways, such as SR 44 and soon the Florida Turnpike, they put in bridges.

If you go to a square, we have 3, we drive on the city streets and park head in.

If you have to cross one of the busy Villages streets, we have tunnels, probably a 100 or so.

If you have too much money in your retirement years, you can get a Street Rod, they cost $21,000 to $25,000 new. Street Rods are not just a body on a cart chassis, they're built from the ground up in Montezuma, Iowa.

If you like the Streetrod look, but don't want to speed the money, you can get a Yesteryear cart new for about $13,000 to $15,000. That's the body on the chassis and engine of a Club Cart golf cart.

Most of The Villages is in Sumter County, of the 67 counties in Florida, Sumter had the highest percentage for Donald Trump. The Villages is about 75% republicans. We also have 20,000 military veterans, which I'm one and we have our own VA clinic. There are parades for Trump all the time and every time someone on Fox News writes a book, they come here to our Barnes & Nobles and sign copies. The Fox morning show has been here, they brought Foreigner last year, and Gary Sinese and his band played last year here.

I think this has given everyone a pretty clear picture of retirement life in The Villages and what's it's like. I moved here when I was 61 in 2011 and I'll be 70 in July. We have a Christmas Parade every year. We also have the largest softball league in America, 200 teams and 2500 players on 14 ball diamonds. Everyone stays pretty active, I played softball the first five years I was here.

Last edited by DeepPurple; 05-27-2020 at 08:10 PM..
DeepPurple 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDeepPurple 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDeepPurple 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDeepPurple 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDeepPurple 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDeepPurple 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDeepPurple 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDeepPurple 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDeepPurple 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDeepPurple 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDeepPurple 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli