View Single Post
Old 02-19-2016, 10:54 AM   #1601
Sauntering Vaguely Downwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by scho63 View Post
How long do you recommend on the grill so they don't dry out?
Thighs are so hard to dry out. My biggest concern has generally been burning the outsides.

I usually use a 2-stage fire and cook them over indirect until the outside starts to brown up (20-30 minutes? Honestly, I really don't recall; it could easily be longer). Then I remove my grate, spread my coals and give them a 5-10 minute shot with direct heat (the coals are dying at that point so it's not real hot anymore) to crisp up the skin a bit. Finally I put sauce on and give them about 1-2 minutes/side until; just long enough for the sauce to start to char, then I turn them and sauce the other side. I usually do two coats/side.

Chicken thighs are so very forgiving that I've been eyeballing them for years. Sorry for not giving you better time/temp figures.

I honestly don't even bother brining dark meat. I sprinkle some seasoning I really like called Willingham's Wham on there (cajunish with much less salt than most cajun rubs) and it forms a nice little texture for sauce to adhere to. You could probably skip the sauce outright, truth be told.
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.