Thread: Poop Netflix slant
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2022, 05:58 PM   #16
Starter

I think this issue has so many facets that can't really be boiled down to just a black and white judgement.

1) is there an over representation on tv of minorities? Yes. Most likely. Do i think that's a bad thing. Not really. I think it's an over correction to decades of under representation and white washing (John Wayne as ghengis Khan, Christian Bale as Egyptian, the last avatar movie, scarjo as the ghost in the shell lead). I think over time this will eventually balance itself out.

2) someone mentioned remembering when married characters had to sleep in separate twin beds on tv. That was also when there 3 channels and it was easier to control the narrative. Now there so many options. Hundreds of tv channels, so many streaming options. We can watch on our phone as we take a shit now adays. People are fighting for content that stands out. Pushes boundries. It's easier now than ever for people to create their own content and distribute it online.

That's going to lead to an up tick of non white male centered stories. But it's not like those stories aren't still being told (Better call saul, ozark, the boys, Rick and morty are ones that come off the top of my head)

3) it makes money. The saying "go woke go broke" is so much BS. If that was the case studios would stop funding projects because at the end of the day it's still about making money.

Black Panther and captain marvel (which i wasn't a huge fan of) still made over a billion dollars. Shang Chi set pandemic records at the box office as well. It's more like make shitty movies go broke. Make shitty movies with minority characters you will go broke and have people cry "wokeness" being the cause.

There are a shit ton of courtroom reality tv shows and the majority of them are either POC or women. But if they didn't get the ratings they would be canceled. The studios that do those shows probably have a ton of data that shows your average middle age white male isn't going to be their main demo.
Chitownchiefsfan must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Chitownchiefsfan must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Chitownchiefsfan must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Chitownchiefsfan must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Chitownchiefsfan must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Chitownchiefsfan must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Chitownchiefsfan must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Chitownchiefsfan must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Chitownchiefsfan must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Chitownchiefsfan must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Chitownchiefsfan must have mowed badgirl's lawn.
Thumbs Up 3 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote