Thread: Movies and TV *The NEW Movies Thread*
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2020, 08:19 PM   #3340
the great pumpkin

I watched the Invisible Man today.

Wife leaves husband. Husband kills himself. Turns out husband ain't dead and has invented an invisibility cloak and terrorizes wife.

I must have missed something because I thought this was horrible. I was shocked to see all the positive reviews (I think it's around 90% on RT). I understand all that privacy & technology is a big deal these days and women being silenced is really in vogue but the problems this movie has shoots the message in the foot.

I started laughing during the last big fight. During the last third the cloak starts and stops "glitching" at just the right moments. There is a terrible sub plot dealing with her brother in law and the husband's estate. There is no reason given why this billionaire would marry this older ordinary woman. The cloak starts making sounds like Alien (but just towards the end). Apparently the cloak gives you super strength and the ability to be in very busy places and not have anybody walk into you. For some reason after a billionaire kills himself someone will come into his house to put sheets over all the furniture but doesn't bother taking the dead man's dog. There is no explanation for how the suicide was faked or how someone would explain the faked suicide after he's done terrorizing and decides to get back to his normal life or even why the guy needed to fake his death.

I enjoyed Upgrade but Whannell screwed the pooch here.

Of course - it appears I'm in the minority.
heapshake is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.heapshake is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.heapshake is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.heapshake is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.heapshake is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.heapshake is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.heapshake is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.heapshake is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.