View Single Post
Old 04-10-2024, 10:37 AM   #54
Sauntering Vaguely Downwards

So in a draft where - again - I was TRYING to screw us (i.e. I didn't even have JJ McCarthy go in the 1st, or Nix or Penix) I still have Suamataia available ahead of McConkey. Now I could've made it slightly worse in hindsight - I had the Lions take Powers-Johnson and the 49ers take Graham Barton.

So let's take Suamataia off the board and send him to SF instead of Barton - that still leaves me Worthy (and possibly Barton, though I don't like him as much at OT) to choose from.

Though I will concede that in this scenario, things got damn lean on me in a hurry. So had the Cardinals, for instance, gone with Worthy to replace Hollywood instead of Coleman who I had them take instead, that would've left me without Kingsley, Morgan or even Worthy.

At that point my top WR options are McConkey, Worthy, Coleman Wilson and Pearsall
OT: Amegadjie, Barton, Paul, Fisher
DL: Fiske, Dorlus, Chop and Darius Robinson(s)

So I'm pretty close to holding my nose and taking McConkey there, though honestly I think I'd probably go with Chop Robinson at that point over him. Sure, it's 3 straight years at DE and we just signed Danna, but I just don't care. Every position is a 'need' in 3 seasons and ultimately I can't shake FAU losing snaps to Malik Herring in January. That's a very bad sign, IMO. I'd be content with Chop there.

It's similar to how last year's draft went. There was a worst case scenario there for us and it's pretty much exactly how it unfolded. In the process, Joey Porter Jr fell though. I think we made a mistake and reached for need in FAU. I'd have gone a completely different direction with JPJ and now would have already backfilled for Sneed's departure.

And on the lead-up to the draft I believe I had this exact same conversation with FAU - I don't hate the prospect but I simply could not build a scenario where he was a guy I wanted at that pick. And when it happened, there were guys I preferred on the board so I wasn't a huge fan of the pick.

That's going to be the case here if we go with McConkey.
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.