View Single Post
Old 05-17-2022, 11:02 AM   #105
Hey Loochy, I'm hooome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat View Post
One thing I saw recently online was cable rack squats where a trainer says to stand way back to get the weights off the rack, then do squats.... you're basically just pulling the weight towards you and probably not doing much in terms of squat resistance.

It looked dumb and I tried it that way and it was complete pointless outside of a little bit of balance I guess, if you have some decent weight on it. You can certainly do squats with the machine,, but have to stand in line with the pulleys so the resistance is (obviously) vertical.

So, moronic in the opposite sense that it's almost a completely pointless exercise... even a beginner could just do body weight squats or a light goblet squat. Horizontal resistance on a squat doesn't seem like it should be a thing.

I think the point of that is not to get resistance from the weight stack, but instead to use the weights on the cables as a counterbalance for your body weight so that you can easily sit back and down and go super deep without tipping over, which is one of the problems noobs have when squatting. The resistance in that case will come from the weight of your upper body and gravity.
loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.