Thread: Movies and TV Prime: Good Omens
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2019, 10:33 AM   #9
oxymoron

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut View Post
But to step backwards, the reason I just sighed when I looked this up was that I was immediately inundated with "Crowley and Aziraphale are the LGBTQ love story for the ages!!" and "What Good Omens does for the non-binary..." and even "Good Omens made me feel okay about living with Autism..."
Maybe I missed something, but I saw two friends.

We need a new...something, that serves as the Bechdel Test for people who are watching. Like, is it possible to see friendship as a suitable fictional relationship between men and men, and men and women, and women and women, and trans and trans, and trans and not, or does there have to be hidden context with everything? And that goes as much for the conservative 'family values' whackjobs who see gay programming in everything as it does for the lgbtq folks.

And yeah I get that representation is a big deal to a lot of people, and I get that the world has been and often continues to be a shit place for people who don't fall squarely into the "traditional" binary roles that our still incredibly conservative society tries to program into us from birth. Reality is that I fall outside of the "normal" spectrum myself. But I'm getting to the point where I'm almost as tired of non-traditional relationships being promoted as a reason why I should watch something as I am of people trying to tell other people who they can and cannot have relationships with. Both sides are getting to the "turn the channel" point of heat with me.

I hope that we can get to a point where any kind of relationship, sexual or otherwise, between whatever people, can just be seen as a normal thing, that doesn't have to be celebrated or opposed, defended or decried, justified or minimalized. Or hell, gets to a point where it doesn't even have to be acknowledged as a thing at all.

And really, just make good television. That's all I really want. I don't need everything I watch to be a social revolution.
keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.