View Single Post
Old 05-10-2021, 09:12 AM   #5
Tossed Salad & Scrambled Eggs

I think it's less about draft capital / trade compensation as much as it is about his contract. I went round and round in the lounge thread pushing for Julio, but the more I thought through the logistics of his contract, it seemed very out of character for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante84 View Post
Not arguing, genuinely curious - wouldn't Mathieu's extension create more than enough room, factoring in our current space + new space - draft class?

EDIT: I did the math.

Looks like the extension could create $10M in cap space for 2021, + the current cap space of $9,894,349, - Rookie pool requirement of $5,705,097 = $14,189,252

So no, just HB's extension alone would not get it done. There would have to be other adjustments made elsewhere prior to it becoming official on 6/2/2021. Kelce and Jones restructures would be candidates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante84 View Post
Yep, fair enough - I've evolved, and now that's where I land, with one major caveat: If Veach is game, I'm game.

That said, historically, Veach's bread and butter move is all about value. Guys who are talented, but down and out and therefore inexpensive. 1st round cast-aways. Ragland, Baker, Callaway etc...

His other move is to secure talent when its available on the open market at a discount because of our ability to compete for rings. McCoy, Bell, etc...

Occasionally, he will make splash moves like Matheiu, Clark, Watkins, Hitchens, and now OBJ - those players were for the most part entering their early prime or mid prime. The only departure from that would have been Trent Williams, given his age. Thankfully, it didn't pan out.

Injuries, Age, and Elite Talent considerations aside, given JJ's price tag, I think it's a non-starter for Veach.

It is fun to dream, though.
Dante84 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dante84 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dante84 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dante84 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dante84 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dante84 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dante84 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dante84 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dante84 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dante84 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dante84 is obviously part of the inner Circle.