Thread: Food and Drink Any Bourbon drinkers out there?
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2013, 08:03 AM   #158
Y'all are brutalizin' me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOlChiefsfan View Post
Mr. Van Winkle released some really old rye a about 10 years ago, before he merged with the Sazerac group (New Orleans and Kentucky). That Van Winkle 16 yr old rye is the best stuff for making a Sazerac I've ever found. Most of the time I just use Old Overholt - it's cheap but 'mild' tasting and plenty tasty enough once you 'flavor it up' making a Sazerac or a rye Manhattan. Wild Turkey 101 rye is very nice, too. Been around a long time. A lot of the other current 'hot' rye whiskey - I'll take a pass for now. It's trendy, it's all coming from the same distillery over in Indiana, slapping on different labels and charging what the market will bear. The market can bear elsewhere w/my wallet involved.
The market is getting ridiculous. I've seen several different whiskeys double in price at bars here and they still can't keep them in stock. Pappy Van 23 has gone from $16 to $32 per ounce in my go to bar, and I'm guessing it's going to continue to rise because too many people here evidently have more money than sense. I've tasted far too many good whiskeys in the $3-8 an ounce price range lately to put up with that nonsense.
Chest Rockwell would the whole thing.Chest Rockwell would the whole thing.Chest Rockwell would the whole thing.Chest Rockwell would the whole thing.Chest Rockwell would the whole thing.Chest Rockwell would the whole thing.Chest Rockwell would the whole thing.Chest Rockwell would the whole thing.Chest Rockwell would the whole thing.Chest Rockwell would the whole thing.Chest Rockwell would the whole thing.