Thread: Home and Auto EV Cars/Trucks
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2022, 03:23 PM   #70
Sometimes it's black and white

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieray View Post
ya, cue the pics of thousands of new vehicles sitting in parking lots useless.

Chip shortages do not equal shipping lithium to China to be refined.

if you think the cost of electricity isn't going to rise, more power to you.
I would be happy to see the US economy decouple from China, but that is obviously a discussion for DC.

Switching from ICE to electric vehicles at any sort of scale is going to require investment in infrastructure.

Retiring coal plants and replacing them with something else requires investment.

High capacity, long distance transmission lines would help, but I don't think the country has the political will to overcome the opposition and NIMBYism (and again topic for DC).

Industrial scale battery storage, whether it is traditional batteries or something like pumped hydro, is viable politically. It is a question of getting the costs down.

No, I don't think things are going to be rainbows and unicorns.

I'm not actually very optimistic about this situation.

There are some types of investment the country generally does a poor job of. Again I don't want to get myself or this thread booted but I think Texas and California represent two extremes and I think both have left consumers in bad shape.
Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.