View Single Post
Old 05-07-2022, 08:59 AM   #21
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut View Post
I think this is probably right.

I think they probably had Karlaftis and Johnson ranked similarly as fringe 1st/early 2nd round guys. They had McDuffie as a 1st round guy.

Had Johnson fallen to 30 I'm sure the Chiefs would've strongly considered him. Maybe even ahead of Karlaftis (maybe not; hard to know how much of the after-pick stuff is bullshit fluff).

But the easy and obvious answer is the Chiefs simply graded McDuffie higher than Johnson. And I suspect they weren't even in a minority there - as that random scout said "Johnson was considered more highly among the media than he was in the industry..."

I think a lot of the talk about Johnson sliding was draft talking heads miscalculating more than anything. When I said every year there's a guy that gets talked up by front offices to the media as a smokescreen I cited Moore; turns out it easily could have been Johnson this year.

Guys who start 'rising' for no obvious reason should make you question if they're actually rising or if they're just getting tossed out there as red meat during draft season.
I don't think they would've taken Johnson.

I think the football character thing is not overblown at all here.

So much of defense is WANT TO, and I know I've said it a thousand times, and said it so much last season that Clay starting calling me names-

But that defense didn't have a lot of WANT TO until Ingram came on board, and even then the effort wilted down the stretch.

A lot of half-assed effort.

If there were questions about Johnson's motor, he was off Veach's board. It's pretty clear that along with a talent rebuild there is a culture rebuild happening on this defense. The new kids all want to run through walls and hit people. Spags is going to have fun with these guys.
Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.