View Single Post
Old 06-03-2020, 12:12 PM   #75
Sauntering Vaguely Downwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla View Post
So, what makes Mathieu different? Is it how he's being used? I mean, the guy covers TEs. Does Spags know how to use another athlete of smaller stature? I suppose we'll find out.
Well and I guess that's ultimately my point - I really don't know.

But I know every 5 years or so there's a new 'pocket DB' that vastly outperforms their pedigree and it's rare that there are more than 1 or 2 guys across all the NFL defensive backs that play that well with a really small stature.

So I understand your question, but until you can truly identify exactly why MATHIEU is so good, you can't answer it. I personally incline towards tenacity and instincts (need both) but only because I watched him on a couple of occasions literally torch THREE reads. I have never seen a safety do what he when he pulled that off. He'd knock someone off his route, pick up a second route and then drift off onto a 3rd and have the QB so spooked he'd just quit outright.

We can sit there and say things like "Davis looks like he has good instincts..." but to do so doesn't give enough credit to just how flipping unreal Mathieu's are. No, Davis's aren't like that. Nobody else in the NFL does that right now. That's what I mean when I say he's the exception that proves the rules.

Guy just don't do what Mathieu does. And if there was a real chance that Davis plays with that kind of vision, he doesn't go undrafted. And he damn sure has a more impactful college career. I mean Mathieu was a damn Heisman finalist, Bednarik winner and the SEC player of the year and Consensus All-American as a TRUE SOPHOMORE.

Javaris Davis....wasn't. Any of that. despite 5 years in the system at Auburn.

Davis has never been anywhere near the player Mathieu was at any level. There's no good faith basis for trying to mention him in the same breath as Mathieu. Is there a chance he makes the team? Sure, why not? If everything breaks precisely correctly for him he may even start for a year or three at some point and provide credible play in the same way Steven Nelson did. Is there a chance he possesses the same traits that have set Mathieu apart from 100 guys with similar measurements/tools as him? No. None at all. There's a clear separation between these guys.
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.