View Single Post
Old 05-03-2021, 02:36 PM   #89
M-I-Z-Z-O-U

Quote:
Originally Posted by Direckshun View Post
1. That's fair.

2. This is fine, and I do understand that some players are of higher value to certain teams that run certain schemes. But let me break this down for you: Nick Bolton is probably not going to be playing passing downs. And if he does, that's not what he was good at for the Tigers. So... you've drafted a two-down linebacker in the Hitchens mold 58th overall, with good passrushers and receivers on the board. That's just not a wise use of resources.

3. I absolutely don't think we should have reached for anyone, ever. Nor am I saying we should pass up on an "A" linebacker for a "C" wide receiver simply because we have a dire need there and WR is more valuable. I'm saying that I had four players on my board -- Dyami Brown, Terrace Marshall, Ronnie Perkins, and Carlos Basham -- who were all valuable at the low 2nd picks, who all played valuable positions that we had desperate needs at, and we punted for a linebacker (which we did need!) who can't play the pass particularly well.

4. All good points, I don't disagree.

But I would have taken Ronnie Perkins and entered the 2021 season with two starting-caliber defensive ends and a competent Blythe at center than further-packing our OL and leaving one DE position wide open, which we've done.
Re: #2

Here's the thing (and despite being a Mizzou fan, I wasn't over the moon with the pick), though: You're projecting Bolton as a 2-down LB. He has great instincts and was an effective pass defender in short areas at Mizzou. He's not a nothing at pass defense. He isn't auto death if he gets matched up in the flat.

He doesn't have the size and speed to play man-up defense against a Darren Waller or really elite, athletic move TE... at least not deep down the field... and would be a bad fit at MLB in a cover 3 D. But the guy isn't a zero at pass pro by any means.

Re: #3
Terrace Marshall and Dyami Brown were higher on my want list than Bolton, too. I think there are real questions about Perkins' fit in this defense (is he big enough? does he defend the run well enough?), though. And Bashem - as a guy who would need to reduce inside to rush the passer - wasn't of the same value as a Peyton Turner would have provided. I don't think there was a DE that fits the scheme that was a great value at that pick.

All indications are we're going to see a lot of Chris Jones at DE on base downs. That reduces some DE need both in 21 and 22. I understand the concern moving forward and the idea that they're going to have to address the position. But I don't really believe Bashem or Perkins drastically changes that equation.

I think you're paranoid, though, if you're looking at this team and seeing holes all over the place.
duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote