Thread: Mock (5/4)
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2021, 12:11 AM   #36
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by staylor26 View Post
1. Yea, if you’re going to assume that OBJ and Niang get hurt, the Chiefs didn’t get much better on the OL

2. Yea, I don’t know how adding a top 10 interior pass rusher and one of the few guys capable of double digit sacks on the interior isn’t a significant upgrade to our pass rush. The best way to get to Brady is absolutely on the interior.

3. Having a healthy year 2 Gay and Bolton definitely upgrade our athleticism and coverage at the LB position in comparison to the SB group. Sneed should only get better in year 2. Thornhill is poised for a career year. I really don’t think our secondary was an issue as much as the biased and tight officiating took them off their game.

1. I said it was unlikely. The point remains that tackle depth sucks.

2. He's a top 10 pass rusher in 2 of 5 seasons in the NFL. In 2019 he spent 6 games suspended. Hopefully, he maintains 2018 and 2020 production and availability. His best impact will likely come with he and Jones rushing together on obvious passing downs, which are likely roughly a 3rd of the total snaps. Other downs you're either taking a bit away from the run defense by taking Nnadi off the field or your moving Chris Jones out to DE where he is not as effective as a rusher himself. So there are some tradeoffs, but I did agree he's a good addition. He's the only addition that somewhat addresses the pass rush and is the best Brady beater given he collapses under interior pressure. Either way, you ignore the fact we're still one injury away from generating zero pressure off the edge and the combo of Reed and Jones is not an every-down situation.

3. You're assuming Gay will not be a liability based on athletic qualities. I am reserving judgment pending what's going on behind his ears. As I said, he has the potential to improve the pass defense. He also could be a major liability. You're also assuming Bolton would see enough snaps in coverage to make an impact as a rookie, which, based on how they handled Gay, is probably doubtful.

I'd argue are secondary was an issue. They were flagged repeatedly for grabbing receivers and some of it was warranted. I think Sneed is going to be a good one but we don't especially know if we have a 3rd CB that can step in and start if there is an injury and I'm still worried that Mathieu is the only DB that can reliably cover the slot and quick underneath routes with Sneed moving outside. It's one reason I mentioned picking up a player like DJ Hayden and adding more competition to the outside as well.

Not all is perfect, the Chiefs still have some voids they failed to address. There is time yet though so we'll see what happens.

Tampa Bay got better too. They definitely added talent that maintains or expands strengths into the future. Tryon is a terror on the edge, Hainsey looks like he'll be a top-flight guard, and Darden gives them juice from the slot.

Green Bay got better by adding Stokes at CB, they replaced Linsley with Myers, and they added Amari Rodgers in the slot which is huge, of course pending Aaron massaging his sore vagina.

The Rams are definitely better. Stafford changes their ability to consistently attack downfield and I feel like Atwell at WR, Jones at LB, and Rochell at CB were all sneaky good picks for them.

Looking more at our own conference and even getting to the SB again...

Pittsburgh is still there this year. Their top 3 picks are criminally underrated in terms of their ability to have a day 1 impact offensively. You know Ben is going to give it one last great hurrah.

I can't say enough about what Cleveland did. That team had a tremendous offseason and they damn near knocked us out last year. Newsome and Owusu-Koramoah were just outstanding picks. Adding John Johnson and Anthony Walker were enormous hole fillers. Clowney and McKinley as additions at least put something opposite Garrett. Plus, they get Delpit back at FS. That team is loaded. The only question is if Mayfield steps up even more after a really good rebound a year ago.

Buffalo at least took notes of KC's failures and addressed depth at LT and RT in the draft as well as focusing on improving their pass rush. They are still right there with no real dropoff. Plus Gabriel going into year 2 should continue to make that passing game more dangerous.

And in our own division...

The Chargers seem to be the running joke as paper tigers but they are most definitely a threat now. If Herbert doesn't look like an elite QB in the making, then I don't know who does. Adding Linsley at OC, Feiler at RG, and Slater in the draft at LT were enormous improvements to that offensive line. Asante Samuel will certainly help their secondary on an already good defense. Palmer and McKitty look like good additions in round 3 for them for the offense as well. They are good enough to threaten for the division title, especially if they can steal a head-to-head.
kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.