Thread: Other Sports SCUBA
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2017, 08:56 AM   #21
Former Illinoisian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scho63 View Post
Did you dive Tarpon Alley in Cayman? It was a large coral head with fingers at around 60 feet and then in the shoots that went down another forty were HUNDREDS of giant 30-60 pound tarpon just slowing moving back and forth as the current passed in between the shoots and fingers.

It was something I will never forget.
I also have a great picture I took of a nurse shark, a turtle and a giant 250 lb+ grouper at the anchor when we go to the bottom at around 80 feet.

Clearest water I ever dove.
We have dove there a couple trips. The tarpon that used to hang out there (if I remember) and Bonnies Arch are rarely around anymore, too many divers. Plus a Hotel on the beach has tarpon feeding a couple times per evening where folks can hand feed the beautiful beasties. That may have helped draw them away.

Cameras are great to have, and you can now rent GoPros. Man how things have changed. We had not done any dive trips in 15 years. Cameras are much less bulky, LED dive lights are crazy bright and most dive op's let you use complimentary computers if you don't have one to get the most out of your bottom time.

Probably won't ever jump in again - other things to do and see, but when the kid requested getting certified to be able to dive with us on her 21st birthday I happily said YES!

Oh, and a small live-aboard is the way to go. I did a week on the Sea Dragon cruising the tiny islands in the Bahamas. Five dives a day if your surface intervals allow!

JP
Hog Rider has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Hog Rider has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Hog Rider has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Hog Rider has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Hog Rider has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Hog Rider has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Hog Rider has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Hog Rider has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Hog Rider has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Hog Rider has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Hog Rider has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.